Legal Issues Associated with DV & SA
This page gives general information concerning the legal options available to victims of Domestic Violence and/or Sexual Assault.
IF YOU ARE A VICTIM, please look under Information for Victims on the side menu for additional information and resources.
D.A.N.A. Services provides legal/court advocacy for our clients. The services we provide include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Information regarding reporting of crimes
- Information regarding the justice system
- Referrals to legal representation
- Assistance in filling out legal paperwork
- Aid with Crime Victim's Compenstation Program
- Court Accompaniment
We are here to help and support you through the legal process.
Possible Legal Options for Victims of Domestic Violence
Some of the possible legal options available to DV victims are listed here below. This list is for reference only and is not intended to be all-inclusive. We encourage victims to seek help, either from our agency or other resources, to aid them with the legal process and to seek proper legal representation.
Restraining & Protection Orders
- Ex Parte Order: a temporary protection order that is issued to protect a victim until they can go in front of a judge
- 50B, Restraining order, or DVPO (Domestic Violence Protection Order): these are civil orders that are granted by a judge that limts the contact a person may have with a victim when there is or has been a personal/dating relationship.
- 50C Restraining order: these are civil orders that are granted by a judge that limits the contact a person may have with a victim when there has been NO personal or dating relationship.
Criminal Charges are filed seperately from protection orders and must be filed with a magistrate
Assault on a Female
- Communicating Threats
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Assault in front of a minor child
- Violation of a DVPO (Domestic Violence Protection Order)
Rape 1st Degree (Rape with injury)
- Rape 2nd Degree (Rape without injury)
- Sexual Battery 1st Degree sexual offense
- Sexual Battery 2nd Degree sexual offense
- Statutory Rape- Rape of a person 13, 14, 15 years of age
- Forcible Sexual offense
- Indecent liberties with a minor
Legal Aid of the NC
828-264-5640 or 800-849-5666
Statewide Automated Victim Assistance & Notification
Crime Victim's Compensation Program
N.C. Magistrates Association